FMQB: Midway Point
Hard to believe we’re already halfway through the season! The best part of there being no true powerhouse in the NFL this year, is the playoff picture is already looking like a close, muddy mess. In the AFC, the top 6 teams are either 6-2 or 5-3. Meaning the Bills are currently the last team in, but just 1 game back from having home field advantage. The NFC is the same (minus the Eagles securely in the top seed). One week could completely change the orders of numbers 2 through 6.
- Jared Goff has to be #1. This isn’t 1 or 2 good games, he has proven he can be a franchise QB in this league
- Carson Wentz to a certain extent. He had a better rookie year, but he is looking like he’ll be a playoff contender every year
- Where did the Jaguars come from? Remember the QB controversy with Bortles in the preseason? Not that he’s playing great, but he’s not losing games for them either. Their defense has them at 5-3
- What happened to the Giants and Buccaneers? The Ben McAdoo looked like a coach of the future last year, and he could easily be out of a job in a few weeks
I won’t do the full playoff picture, but for the AFC, let’s shake it up a bit and have Chiefs #1, Steelers #2. In the NFC, I’ll stick with Philly at #1, and boy is #2 a tossup, and as much as my gut needs to see it to believe it, I’ll go with the Saints. Teams from the outside that should make it in? I see the Redskins making a push (9-7, may not quite do it), and if the Seahawks can get through this stretch of their schedule into the playoffs, look out. AFC: Don’t expect a much different picture than currently. The only thing I would say is the Bills and Jags could easily falter and let Oakland slip in. But I’ll predict (in no order) Pit, NE, KC, Ten, Jax, and Buf still make it. Heck, I’ll do the full playoff picture! NFC: Phi, NO, MIN, LAR, Dal, and Sea. Check me in 8 weeks!
Sweet Play of the Week:
Yours truly was shopping on Sunday (UGH!) and had recorded the Cowboys Chiefs game. When the Cowboys scored at the end of the first half, they kicked the ball to KC with 13 seconds left. Great opportunity to knock off some time on the DVR! So I’m fast forwarding through and see the Chiefs celebrating. What the heck??? I then rewinded it and watched the play twice because I couldn’t believe what I saw. KC lines up for a 60 yard Hail Mary, but instead checks down with a 12 yard throw to Tyreek Hill. So it’s Hill, and 3 Chiefs blockers against 6 Cowboys who lined up at the 2 yard line to defend a deep pass. Yet somehow despite being greatly outnumbered, Hill sprints past the 3 remaining defenders untouched into the endzone. Plays like this should never work, it was funny to hear Tony Romo freaking out as well.
Stat of the Week:
Jared Goff had 311 yards and 4 TD’s on only 14 completions
Stat of the Week #2:
First time in NFL history that the #1 and #2 draft picks from the same year, threw 4+ TD passes in the same week.
Stat of the Week #3:
The Lions didn’t punt in their game, first time it’s happened for their franchise in 46 years.
Stat of the Week #4:
The Rams scored 224 points all of last year, but have already scored 263 points through only 8 games this season.
Possible Stat of the Week #5:
The Rams could become the first team in NFL history to go from being last in scoring offense to 1st in consecutive years.
Record that Will Never Be Broken Stat of the Week:
Wow, so I didn’t live through the Don Shula era, but just saw that Bill Belichick is creeping up on #3 most wins all time as a coach. He’s still 79 wins away from Shula! He’ll lose Brady in the near future, but let’s say they get lucky and get a QB that can replicate call it 11 wins a season. Belichick would have to likely coach 7 full seasons after this year, getting him to age 73. Additinoally, it’s amazing how frustrating people are that Belichick just wins and wins and wins; can’t imagine what the 70s were like with Shula.
- I have trouble accepting them as contenders, but the Saints and Eagles are continuing to impress
- What was with all the fights this week? 3 in 1 week with hardly any beforehand.
- Tag down TY Hilton! The Texans were a simple love tap away from winning that game
- Seattle isn’t out of the game until there are triple 0’s, thought they were going to pull off a win against Washington
- Adrian Peterson has no mediocre games. I swear it’s either 159 yards, or 21 carries for 29 yards like last night.
For the Record:
- The Browns didn’t lose this week!
- Ezekiel Elliot, who was suspended, then unsuspended, suspended, then unsuspended, suspended, then unsuspended, is now suspended again.
- The Chiefs have lost 3 of 4 after being the last undefeated team
- The Saints are 6-0 after starting 0-2.
- It’s painful to watch Brett Hundley, just terrible football
Quote of the Week:
“We just lost a great player, but nevertheless the Titanic still has to go” Cam Newton. Spoiler alert Cam, the ship sinks!
Gutsiest Call of All Time:
Apparently before inquiring about Jimmy Garrapolo, 49ers GM John Lynch asked Belichick if his “other quarterback” was on the trade block. Hey, the answer’s always “no” if you never ask!
Meme of the Week: