FMQB: Ramblin Along
I’m not going to make any more player predictions the rest of this year. In back to back weeks, I’ve made bold predictions about Adrian Peterson (who was put on IR the next week) and Antonio Brown (who will miss the next 2 games).
There are obviously two games to talk about as the back to back endings were two of the best this year. Both included rules that fans absolutely hate and the NFL should look at this offseason. Both included teams that went for it all when they were guaranteed a FG to take it into overtime.
The Race for 1st:
The Steelers were up and not dominating but steadily beating the Patriots in every aspect of the game. The Patriots score to seemingly tie it at 17, but the extra point is no good! Pittsburgh scores to go up 8, and it stays 24-16 deep into the 4th. The Patriots are forced to kick a FG with 3:56 left in the game to bring it to within 5. Steelers go 3 and out, and then New England marches 77 yards in 1:10 in an amazing drive which basically only featured Gronkowski. They make a 2pt conversion to go up 3. Taking a step back, I along with Steeler nation was utterly surprised that all of a sudden the Patriots were ahead. Watching the 2nd half, it truly felt like Pittsburgh was in control and going to win until the final 4 minutes, so we were all pretty much shocked. They scored 11 points in exactly 3 minutes. Continue Reading
FMQB: Short, Sweet and Late
Ugh, this years injuries are insane. Carson Wentz going down became the 16th team (half the league!) who have had season ending injuries or benchings. They were Super Bowl favorites until this week. He tore his ACL and stayed in the game for 4 plays, including throwing a TD. I vaguely remember Phillip Rivers doing the same thing several years back, but this is unheard of. That’s North Dakota tough.
- Apparently diving at a player’s knees during the victory formation and then trying to climb into the stands to fight a fan doesn’t warrant a suspension anymore….
- My second point about this, is that we’re hearing how egregious the fans’ actions were to throw drinks onto the field, yet nobody is talking about both Bennett and Jefferson literally trying to end a lineman’s season and inflict both physical and financial
- The NFL will never get any credibility regarding the safety of its players if they don’t start enforcing concussion protocol rules. Tom Savage’s incident was, well, savage. But they need to be able to take out Russell Wilson caliber players if they suspect concussions.
- The Pittsburgh Ravens game was one of the better ones of the year. 39-38 against bitter rivals.
- How did the Patriots lose on Monday night? Looks like that Gronk suspension actually meant something.
- Packers almost lost to the Browns, needed a 14 point comeback just to take it into OT! But Aaron Rodgers is back baby!!!
FMQB: Office Space
Thanks to all who stuck with me after last week’s political tangent. I hate to say it, but it was my highest read article this year, which wasn’t my goal. So we’re back to purely football this week. We’re ¾ of the way through the season, final quadrant left before playoffs! Which means…
FMQB: The Only Person who should be benched is McAdoo’s Barber!
I swear on everything Holy I wrote this on Monday!
“One really has to wonder if Eli Manning will be a Giant next year. QB’s like Josh McCown, Tyrod Taylor, Jameis Winston, Jacoby Brissett, and Ryan Fitzpatrick all have better passer ratings than Manning. He would be 37 going into next season, I think there’s a high likelihood he either retires, or sticks around to groom a top 3 pick in the draft.”
I promise you I wrote that on Monday before the news! He was officially benched on Tuesday. In my opinion, this is complete crap. First off, you’re not going to learn anything new or get reps for a QB you’ve never seen before (Geno has been a starter for multiple years). Second, it’s Week 13 and they’re officially out of the playoff race. Third, this is your franchise QB and one who has brought you two Lombardi trophies. You owe it to him and his 13 year career not to end his streak of starts. Just let him ride out the season, and have a closed door meeting with him saying that he’s not your franchise QB, and they can either trade or release him. This action alone makes McAdoo’s firing justified.
- Rams have a tough schedule to end the year, but pretty surprised to see them knock off the 8 game win-streaking Saints.
- Wow, the Chiefs have fallen on hard times.
- I’m no doctor, but Aaron Rodgers sure seemed like he could throw the ball fine going into Sunday night.
- In 3 plays, Garrapolo had the first TD for the 49ers after Beathard played the entire game. Just saying…
- Two surprises of the week: Cardinals and Blaine Gabbert knocking off the Jaguars, and the Packers playing tough against the Steelers and barely losing.
- You have Antonio Brown and Julio Jones on one level, and then there’s every other receiver in the league.