Photo Credit: ESPN
It’s finally here! It’s weird how round numbers or even numbers seem to invoke excitement above and beyond the norm. But I think I’d be doing it injustice if I didn’t talk about the fact that we are at the 50th Super Bowl! We’ve had crazy moments so far, Scott Norwood’s wide right, Malcolm Butler’s interception, the Giants ruining perfection, the ’72 Dolphins achieving perfection, John Elway’s helicopter, Kevin Dyson coming up a yard short, Namath’s guarantee, Vinatieri’s game winning FG, Montana’s game winning drive, and the Bills’ 4 losses in a row. To name a few….We’ve had 50 amazing years, which tend to culminate in some of the best games of the season with everything on the line. There’s a reason this day is like Christmas for me, and I can’t wait to witness the next 50!
Super Bowl Stats:
- In 49 Super Bowls, we have yet to see an OT game. There were 21 OT games in 2015, meaning about 12% of games go into OT.
- The 13 year old age difference between Manning and Newton is the largest ever in Super Bowl history
- The 3 oldest QB’s to start a Super Bowl are Peyton Manning (39), John Elway (38) and Peyton Manning (37)
- Manning is the only QB to make the Super Bowl multiple times with multiple teams
- This is the first Super Bowl where both QB’s were drafted #1 overall.
- This is the 3rd straight year that the #1 seeds have made the super bowl
- If the Panthers win the Super Bowl, they’ll be the 4th team to win 18 games in a season
- Manning is 1st NFL player to go to the Super Bowl with 4 different coaches
- Teams that lead the league in defense are 9-2 in Super Bowls