FMQB: Memes Galore!
I fared a bit better this week, going 3-1 on picks. I did pick the Chargers to upset the Patriots, which looked like the most lopsided affair of the weekend. Lack of first downs and losing the time of possession battle again seemed to dominate all 4 games. Only 3 football games left in the year, get your gumbo ready! Also, despite only 4 games there was a meme explosion this week, but people seem to like that so I’m not holding back!
- The Chiefs look like they’re hardly missing Kareem Hunt. They rushed for 180 yards and 4 TD’s
- Adam Vinatieri’s 2 close misses were shocking. Should have been an easy 4 points on the board. Despite the final, that changes the entire game, and Indy is within one score late in the 4th.
- Rams drives ended in FG, FG, TD, TD, missed desperate FG, FG, TD, Punt, TD, End of game
- As I predicted, the winner of the rushing battle won Dal vs LAR. The Rams held Zeke to 47 yards rushing, while the Rams scored a playoff franchise record with 273 yards; both CJ Anderson and Todd Gurley breaking 100.
- Chargers Patriots started off hot with 3 straight TD’s, but the game was out of hand incredibly quickly. The Pats scored TD’s on 5 of it’s first 6 drives.
- I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better in game adjustment than what the Saints did to the Eagles. Usually it’s a tale of two halves, but somehow Sean Payton flipped the script with no time to plan after the 1st quarter
- Once again, everybody and their grandma knows that Brees is looking to Michael Thomas. Double team the guy already! 12 catches, 171 yards and a TD. He also converted a 2nd and 20 and several key 3rd downs.
- Their fake punt on their own 30 yard line completely changed the game for New Orleans
Stat of the Week:
The Rams scored 30 points, and the Chiefs 31, yet Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes both had 0 TD passes. Playoff football people
Stat of the Week #2:
The Chiefs outgained the Colts 185-12 yards in the 1st quarter. Andrew Luck didn’t complete a pass until the 2nd quarter
Stat of the Week #3:
The Rams high flying offense was shifted to 48 rush attempts vs 28 pass attempts.
Stat of the Week #4:
Julian Edelman is now 2nd on the list of most postseason receptions. And a mere 2/3 of the way to breaking Jerry Rice
Stat of the Week #5:
Patriots had more 1st downs by halftime (21) than the Chargers had run plays (20)
Mindboggling Stat Time:
- Mark Sanchez has more road playoff victories (4) than Tom Brady does (3).
- Tom Brady is playing in his 13 AFC Championship games in 17 seasons. That shouldn’t happen in today’s age of sports
- Patriots will be in their 8th straight AFC Championship game, will go for 9th Super Bowl appearance in 18 years; again, unheard of
- Tony Romo is 5th all time for highest passer rating. Higher than Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Elway, Unitas, Starr, Aikman…you name it. Kirk Cousins is also #8, and beats out that entire list except for Manning.
- This is the first AFC Championship game that has been hosted at Arrowhead. That’s mind boggling to me.
For the Record:
- Rigoberto Sanchez may be the coolest name in the NFL. Seattle’s Barkevious Mingo is a close 2nd though
- Bears fans went 0-101 on kicking a 43 yard field goal.
- There is something up with the Steelers organization, which I thought I’d never say in my lifetime. First LeVeon Bell, now Antonio Brown. Both are divas, sure, but one has to wonder.
- Patrick Mahomes is not one of those divas. He was in the final pile pushing his RB in for the TD. But what the heck, his center jumped on top of his own QB and nearly broke his leg, did anybody else see that?
- Where did Sony Michel come from??? Belichick always has this innate ability to have a player who was rather unknown in the regular season light it up in the playoffs. Remember Jonas Grey, James White, Kevin Faulk?
- Gutsiest call of the week wasn’t the fake punt, it was the Rams going for it on 4th and Goal from the 1, up 8 with 7 minutes left.
So I’m pumped for the divisional round. You have 2 of the “next generation” QB’s in Goff and Mahomes against your 1st ballot hall of famers Brees and Brady. Then you have 4 premier coaches in McVay, Reid, Payton and Belichick; who can out coach the other? With all the craziness, comebacks, upsets, etc. it’s fitting that the top 4 teams are here. We could have fast forwarded from Week 7 and not been surprised to see this. I am going with my heart on this one with the fair assessment that I will likely not go 2-0, so just know that. Let’s take a look at possible Super Bowl Matchups, and some intriguing storylines we would have in each one.
Chiefs vs. Rams– What arguably was the best regular season game in the history of the NFL, it would be incredible to see a rematch on neutral ground. Both teams are different, and likely wouldn’t have 105 points scored again, but then again in a dome who knows! The Rams and Chiefs also have a pseudo rivalry, and used to play every preseason game for the Governor’s Cup when the teams were on the opposite sides of Missouri. Plus the 2 young QB’s would be fun to watch.
Chiefs vs. Saints- Probably the most likely scenario, and in an unbiased approach, I’m ok with that! This would be the shootout possibility game, and likely the only matchup between Brees and Mahomes. Andy Reid vs. Sean Payton, two of the premier coaches in the league who take chances would duke it out. This would be a fun one!
Patriots vs. Rams- Would take many fans back to their roots. It would be fitting to have a Super Bowl rematch, and would bookend Brady’s career. He beat the Rams to win his first Super Bowl at age 23, and now that he’s 41 he’d have a chance to repeat. It would also be really fun to see McVay vs. Belichick to see who could outwit the other. Unfortunately this would require 2 upsets and is fairly unlikely.
Patriots vs. Saints- This could have some intrigue as well, with Payton vs. Belichick, and Brees vs. Brady. Possibly the last chance for one of the old farts to win the big game.
Patriots vs. Chiefs is a rematch of the Sunday night game early in the season. The Pats won that shootout 42-40, but expect an entirely different game. Kickoff temps are popping up into the 20s, but that still means a heavy run game; something both teams excelled in last week. I think this is a lower scoring affair, and my gut is telling me the Patriots will take them down again, but picking Chiefs 24, Patriots 20.
Rams vs. Saints is another rematch of a crazy game that ended up 45-35. This is the game Michael Thomas exploded for 211 yards, and words were said at the end by Marcus Peters. I do see this one potentially being a shootout, but have the running game actually be present in this one. I hate to do it, I HATE to do it, but I’m picking the Saints ☹. I think they’re too much for the Rams to handle, and on the road. But have NO 34, LAR 28.
Memes of the Week:
The Jokes just write themselves on this next one…