FMQB: Super Late, Super Bowl
Oy vey, this is a super late post, but I do want to put out my Super Bowl edition of FMQB!
It was a weird game, I even re-watched it (an FMQB tradition only broken by last years dud). Granted, despite my team not being in it, I had a genuine rooting interest for the Chiefs (full disclosure). Despite starting slow, the Chiefs actually had the lead at the end of the 1st. They seemed incredibly outplayed the first half, which is I’m sure why Kyle Shannahan felt secure going into halftime with a lead. That was an epic mistake, I think they had at least a 50-50 shot at getting 3 points if they had used their timeouts. Then it was a tale of 2 quarters, with the 49ers dominating the next 20 minutes of the game, until the script completely flipped for the Chiefs 3rd 10+ point comeback in the playoffs to take the win. The 4th quarter was incredibly exciting, with the Chiefs getting the ball 5 times, and having INT, TD, TD, TD, Kneel Down to end the game.
For the Record:
- Honestly, Damien Williams deserved the MVP
- Mahomes also didn’t really play that great of a game.
- The game really came down to that 3rd and 15 where Mahomes hit a wide open Hill on the WASP play. They don’t convert there, they lose
- 49ers Defense was legitimate. Mahomes got sacked 4 times, hit 9, had 2 INT’s and 2 fumbles
- I think seeing Andy Reid win the game is the feel good story of the year.
- In true Chiefs fashion, they became the first team to score 21 points in the 4th Quarter, and only needed half a quarter to pull that off.
Stat of the Week:
- Mahomes became the first QB to overcome 3 10+ point leads in a single postseason
- Mahomes is the 2nd youngest QB to ever win a Super Bowl, and the youngest to win the MVP
- Per ESPN, Shanahan’s win% when he was with the Falcons was 99.7%, and with the 49ers was 96.1%
- The Super Bowl series is now tied, NFC 27, AFC 27. The NFC had a 13 game win streak in the 80s and 90s. The AFC have won 15 of the last 23 games, and 6 of the last 8
- Mahomes became the 2nd QB to win a Super Bowl under the age of 25
- The 49ers didn’t punt until 8:53 in the 4th Quarter. Their final 4 possessions ended in Punt, Punt, Downs, Interception
- Once the 49ers got ahead 20-10, Shanahan called 13 passes to just 4 runs
- Well, at least the halftime show was family friendly…
- Apparently Anheuser Busch finally decided not to attack Craft Beer and to go back to the light beer market
- The 49ers were greeted by 5 fans at the airport
Roster spot weirdness:
Dee Ford, the DE for the Chiefs who had the offsides that basically sent NE to the Super Bowl last year, got traded to the 49ers. Meaning he lost the AFC Championship game 1 year, and then lost the Super Bowl to his old team the year after that.
Terrell Suggs was released by Arizona mid-season. He vowed that the only team he would sign with was his prior Ravens (when they looked like a shoe-in Super Bowl Champ). The Chiefs instead picked him up, and as a result he has another Super Bowl ring.
I can’t get over how late this post is, sorry guys! The dang combine has already started. I was truly thrilled to see the Chiefs win, I hadn’t rooted this hard for a non-Rams team since probably the Broncos winning it, and before that it was the Giants.
Memes of the Week:
This post was so late, we got to Valentine’s Day memes and are 2 weeks past that as well!!!