The day is finally here! In such a weird season and a weird year, we’ve actually made it to a normal day, Super Bowl Sunday, with hardly any issues.
The matchup is huge, Mahomes vs. Brady! If you have an argument that the NFL isn’t rigged, you might have to sit this year out! Mahomes is seen as the heir apparent to Brady. This game could either be a handing of the torch, or Brady making a statement that he’ll always be the best. You get the feeling that this game will be looked back on as a deciding factor on who will be the best of all time. You look at Jordan vs. LeBron, and the debate that is there. The issue is that they never got a chance to suit up against each other. Now we’ll have a chance to see if Brady can go for his 7th Super Bowl, or end up 6-3. If he wins, that makes it awful tough for Mahomes to have a chance at catching him, but if he loses, Mahomes is 25 years old and only needs 4 more to catch him.
Interesting that the first Super Bowl in NFL History where a team gets to play on their homefield, is the year of COVID where Bucs fans can’t necessarily pack the stands to give them an edge. Perhaps only the travel helps here.
Stat of the Week:
Tom Brady has 33 playoff victories, which is more than double Joe Montana in 2nd place, with 16
Stat of the Week #2:
Brady has appeared in 6 of the last 7 Super Bowls.
Super Bowl Factoids:
- Reid and Arians make up the oldest coaching duo to meet in a Super Bowl
- Brady is the oldest player ever (not just QB) in a Super Bowl
- Mahomes is the youngest QB to start in his 2nd Super Bowl
- This is the 14th Super Bowl matchup where the 2 teams met previously in the season. The record of the winning team in the big game? 6-7
- The Super Bowl series is actually tied! 27 AFC, 27 NFC. That’s impressive since the NFC won 13 in a row in the 80’s and 90’s, and 15 of 16 in that timeframe.
- The Bucs are the 4th team in the past 5 years who will appear in the Super Bowl after missing the playoffs the season before
- This Super Bowl features the winning QB’s of the past 2 Super Bowls