FMQB: Entitled to Injury of your Peers
I hate to say “I told you so,” but before Week 1, I specifically mentioned that injuries could be a side affect of the lack of offseason conditioning. Teams got absolutely wrecked in Week 2, most of which were lower body injuries.
High Profile Injuries:
- 49ers RB Raheem Mostert (Sprained MCL)
- 49ers QB Jimmy Garrapolo (High ankle sprain)
- 49ers DE Nick Bosa (Torn ACL, out for season)
- 49ers DL Soloman Thomas
- Giants RB Saquon Barkley (Torn ACL, out for season)
- Panthers RB Christian McCaffery (High ankle sprain)
- Broncos QB Drew Lock (Sprained AC Joint)
- Broncos WR Courtland Sutton (Torn ACL, out for season)
- Packers WR Davante Adams (Hamstring)
- Vikings LB Anthony Barr
- Several other starting players
Craziest Injury line:
Tyrod Taylor was a mysterious scratch before the game due to a chest injury, lending to Justin Herbert getting his first NFL start. Turns out the Chargers team doctor went to give him a pain injection shot for his ribs, and punctured his lung on accident, whoah!!! Sounds like the union and lawyers are getting involved in this one, could be crazy.
- Carson Wentz got booed in Philly. While this shouldn’t be news, it’s noteworthy because there are no fans in the stand…
- Anybody else as surprised by the Raiders as I am? They’re 2-0, took out a solid Saints team, and look pretty sharp. Did seem like they only have 2 go-to people on offense though
- On the flipside, the Vikings look to be the biggest disappointment of the season.
- Tom Brady is in the Win column. Wins for NE (219), wins for TB (1)
- Justin Herbert looks like the real deal already, and he was a late addition. Took the defending champs to the brink in OT.
- Cam Newton looks to be a good fit in NE. But c’mon, everybody and their mom knew they were running it on the final play
- Mahomes converted a 3rd and 20 on 4th down by running
- The entire NFC West is 7-1. The 1 loss was within the division
Stat of the Week #1:
Falcons were the first team in NFL history to score 39 points, have 0 turnovers, and lose
Stat of the Week #2:
Mahomes has won 6 straight games in which he trailed by double digits, an NFL record
Stat of the Week #3:
The last 3 games between the Patriots and Seahawks have all be decided on the 1 yard line
Stat of the Week #4:
Josh Allen is leading the league in passing yards
Stat of the Week #5:
Russell Wilson has 9 TD’s in 2 games. Technically on pace for 72 TD’s this season!
Stat of the Week #6:
Patriots CB Stefan Gilmore had a streak of 104 targets without allowing a TD, the longest in the NFL until Metcalf scored Sunday. It was over a full season without letting in a TD! Reason why he was defensive player of the year last year.
Stat of the Week #7:
49ers have lost 8 starters in 2 games to leg injuries
Was NOT expecting the NFL to take masks so seriously, but I tip my hat to them. 5 coaches got fined $100,000 (teams fined $250,000) for not wearing their masks on the sideline. What’s good about this is two-fold. First; selfishly, the NFL knows that it will take very little to completely derail the season. One team with 6-10 infections could knock themselves and an opposing team out for 2 weeks, which completely messes with the entire league’s schedule. So a stiff penalty is a way to curb this. Secondly; panning across the sideline and not seeing masks isn’t portraying the right message we need as a country. So if there is any sort of role model or leadership coaches can show, that’s something that can go a long way.
Best Sequence of the Week:
Chiefs line up for the game winning FG in overtime, a 53 yarder. Butker kicks and nails it, hooking it slightly left of center, but it’s a false start. Then for a 58 yard field goal, Butker kicks and nails it, hooking it slightly left of center, but Chargers call timeout. For the 3rd time, at 58 yards, Butker kicks and nails it, hooking it slightly left of center. Chiefs win.
Cowboys Falcons game:
I have to talk about the game, the Cowboys had 4 turnovers in their first 5 drives, and the Falcons were up 20-0 in the 1st quarter! 29-10 by halftime. Who’s heard this story before? The Falcons would end up losing this game! Probably the craziest play everyone is talking about is the onside kick, which is a 6% recover rate over the past 2 years. Greg the Leg kicked the end of the ball so it was spinning but barely moving. 4 Falcons players seemingly watched the ball as it took seconds to go 10 yards. It’s unsure if they didn’t know the rule or not, as the receiving team can touch it before 10, but a disaster nonetheless.
Quote of the Week:
Gronkowski, when asked about his slow start “I’m here to block baby!”
Memes of the Week: