I’m Back for Year 11!!!! Seems like a lifetime ago I started this, it can be tough to keep up on but I can’t seem to stay away. I’m going to attempt to do more condensed versions of FMQB this year to stay on top of things, but of course there’s always issues to talk through.
Maybe Brady was Right:
I laughed when Brady poo-poo’d the new NFL rule that basically said any jersey number was fair game, instead of your typical “RB’s can wear jersey numbers 20-39,” etc. He thought it would be tough for offenses/defenses to differentiate players, and we all laughed and laughed and laughed. Then of course, game one, an RB wearing number 7 got tackled by a CB wearing number 7, and it’s just weird. I don’t think I like it either.
Week 1 Recap:
- Dallas played hard, on the road against the Super Bowl champs, and easily could have won
- Matthew Stafford looks like he may have been worth the price the Rams paid
- There were so many doubters of Jalen Hurts coming into the season, he may have shut all of them up with the 34-6 shellacking of Atlanta
- People had the Texans as the worst team in the league. Sure they beat the Jags, but Tyrod is enough to win games
- The Browns had the Chiefs number for the first 50 minutes of that game
- Easily the worst performance of Rodgers career, yikes
- I had doubts on Jameis Winston, but he looked like the Saints will be competitive without Brees
Stats of the Week:
- Tampa Bay became the first NFL team to lose the turnover margin by 3+, have over 100 penalty yards, allow more than 450 yards of offense, and still win the game
- Jameis Winston had 5 TD’s but only 148 yards passing. Which is the fewest yards for a 5 TD game in NFL history
- Jalen Hurts has more 300 yard passing games in 5 starts (2), than Lamar Jackson has in 38 starts (1)
- Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown a pass for 9 different teams
- Rookie QB’s wen 0-3, 2nd year QB’s went 4-0
- Matthew Stafford played 165 games for the Lions and never had a passer rating as high as he did on Sunday
For the Record:
- I know everybody has heard this, but Trevor Lawrence had never lost a regular season game in his career. High school or college. Until Week 1
- Only 2 QBs have beaten both Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson. Ryan Tannehill and Derek Carr
Can we take a second to appreciate how good all of the primetime games have been so far? After years of stinkers on Monday night. Tampa vs. Dallas was a heck of a season opener. The Rams game was over after 20 minutes, but as a Rams fan it was fun! Raiders Ravens may be in game of the year contention. And even last night’s game which should have been a snoozer, had 3 lead changes in the 4th, a missed FG but after an offsides the WFT won instead.
NFC East Garbage:
And I’m not talking about the teams for once! One fan posted a picture of his hot dog that had maggots in his ketchup, YUCK! And then fans at the Red Tails game had an overhead pipe burst that was spewing water onto the fans below. Until someone sniffed their arm and said “It’s raw sewage.” What the heck!
They announced last night that HBO’s Hard Knocks will be doing an in-season version of the show! This is awesome news, it’s so well done and put together, and the 5 episodes you get each year isn’t enough. Shocked that it took 20 years for this to happen. It’s with the Colts though and doesn’t start until November. So I suppose we’re probably only going to be graced with 5 episodes anyway.
Quote of the Week:
Drew Brees on NBC when going through the Jameis Winston-Deonte Harris deep TD: “I guess apparently this is what the Saints have been missing over those last couple of years. … Let’s launch them baby! Let’s go”
Quote of the Week #2:
Peyton Manning while watching the first snap of the Raiders season
“We’re about to find out what sort of year the Raiders will have this season on this play….6-11!”
Memes of the Week