- The Packers/49ers game was awesome. Seeing Garrapolo drive the length of the field to score with just 37 seconds left, and then with no timeouts having Aaron Rodgers go 42 yards in 2 plays and Crosby kick a 51 yard FG for the win, instant classic!
- The Chargers upseting the Chiefs was also a great game. Justin Herbert is shining this year.
- Seeing any major record fall is fun, but seeing Justin Tucker boot a FG that broke the record by 2 yards, for the win, as time expired? Chills. 66 yards is the new record to beat
- Also, the Cardinals had a chance to beat the FG record by 4 yards! They tried a 68 yard FG, it came up short, and the Jags returned it for an NFL Record (tying) 109 yard TD.
Stats of the Week
- Lamar Jackson is currently leading the league in yards per completion and yards per carry, which has never been done before in NFL history.
- The Browns had 9 sacks on Sunday, with Myles Garret getting half of them at 4 1/2 sacks
- Cooper Kupp is on pace for a 2000 yard season
- Matthew Stafford had only one 3-0 start in 12 years with the Lions
- Patrick Mahomes had never thrown an interception in September prior to this year. Now he has 3
- The 3 teams with the most turnovers this year are the Jets, the Jaguars and the Chiefs
- Joe Burrow threw 3 TD’s on just 14 completions
- Justin Fields was sacked 9 times for -67 yards. He had 68 yards passing, meaning the Bears had 1 net passing yard
For the Record
- The Broncos are 3-0, but their three opponents are a combined 0-9
- The Chiefs are 1 botched punt away from being 0-3
- The Buccaneers were on a 10 game win streak
- In a 4 day span, the Bears went from “Andy Dalton is our starter” to “Justin’s Fields is starting” to “all 3 QB’s are under consideration”
- If he wasn’t already, that 66 yard FG just put Justin Tucker into the Hall of Fame.
- Ben Roethlisberger is doneski, last year for sure. He looks terrible out there.
- Out of the Bengals, Panthers, Broncos or Raiders, which is the 1st team to prove they’re “pretenders?” Tough to tell, but with the 7th playoff team, they essentially can go 6-8 the rest of the way and likely be in.
- The Ravens were losing, faced a 4th and 19 from their own 16 yard line with less than 30 seconds left in the game; they won.
Crazy Coach Career
Brandon Staley (I didn’t know who he was either and had to look him up) is the head coach of the Chargers at a wee 38 years old. Glancing on how he got here, he had quite the career progression. Just 9 years ago he was a Graduate assistant at Tennessee. Then went to D3 football as a Defensive coordinator, D1 for 1 year, D3 for 2 more years (all defensive coordinator). Then jumped to the Bears outside linebackers coach, same role with the Broncos, Defensive Coordinator for the Rams, Head Coach for the Chargers. My point is this, 2 years ago he was an outside linebackers coach, and 5 years ago he was a coordinator at the D3 level. That’s insane!
- Davante Adams had about the fastest cleared concussion protocol since that was implemented. Seemed like he was in and out in 2 minutes. Also, how do the refs not throw a flag on that play, but a Packer swatted Garrapolo’s back and gets a roughing the passer.
- Eli’s double middle fingers are what this country needed right now, ESPN shouldn’t have made him apologize. One of the funniest screenshots I’ve seen in a long time.
- A ref in the Cardinals game threw a flag, which actually hit the ball from an incoming punt, and made the player fumble. Couldn’t do that again if he tried.
Quote of the Week
“You take you a deuce, you don’t sit there and look at it, you flush it and move on. We gonna flush it and move on.” -Jalen Hurts in perhaps the most eloquent way ever to say you’re moving on from a loss.
Game of the Week/Century:
Obviously it’s the return of Tom Brady to New England. Ironically he is going to break the all time passing yard mark back home (you have to think the NFL planned that). Expect a standing ovation. The storylines are abound for this game, but unfortunately I would expect it to be “over” by the 2nd quarter with the Bucs trouncing Mac Jones and the Patriots
Memes of the (2) Weeks!