FMQB: You Vike That?!?!
The Sunday night game will be one that gets replayed for years and years, and I don’t think I’m exaggerating. The fact that Rodgers was terrible with his good knee, goes out and the Bears have a hay day on defense should have ended the game there. The magic when he walked back onto the field, single handedly breathing back life into the stadium that had been drawn out as he was carted off the field; it was just incredible. The entire stadium went from “oh no, not again!” to “down 20-0? No problem, we have Aaron.” Despite the Packers not doing anything offensively in the 1st half, Lambeau had hope. And while the comeback was exciting, it almost wasn’t surprising, it was expected. If anybody has seen The Natural with Robert Redford, this was like a 3 hour condensed version of that.
- Weather delays are extremely rare in the NFL, and we had 2 (technically 3) happen this week
- The Colts didn’t waste time with easing Andrew Luck back into things. They tested out his shoulder on a league leading 53 attempts!
- The Steelers didn’t seem to be missing LeVeon Bell. James Connor is leading the league in rushing
- Saquon Barkley’s TD run shows the talent and explosiveness the Giants were hoping for, just wow. And against the Jags
- Other than the first play of the game, Sam Darnold looks like the real deal
- The Vikings and Jags defense looks legit
- I want whatever Aaron Rodgers was on during his postgame interview. Or maybe I don’t…
Stat of the Week:
Drew Brees is on pace for 7024 passing yards
Stat of the Week #2:
This was the Bears first 10 point lead against the Packers since 2007
Follow-up Stat of the Week #3:
Julio Jones lead the league in receiving with 169 yards, but that elusive TD has his team at 0-1. On his last 20 targets to Julio Jones in the endzone, Matt Ryan is 1-20.
Stat of the Week #4:
The Browns 0-0-1 start is their best start since 2004.
Stat of the Week #5:
In the Bucs vs. Saints game: 88 points is a new record for a season opener, and there were 1004 offensive yards in that game
Stat of the Week #6:
Aaron Rodgers had 13 yards on a good knee in the first half, and 273 yards on a bad knee in the 2nd half
Stat of the Week #7:
Nathan Peterman has started 3 games in his career. One of which was this weekend where he went 5/18 for 24 yards and a 0.0 QB rating. It was 40-0 35 minutes into the game. Another start had him at 6/14, 0 TD’s and 5 INTs. Looks like you got yourself a winner there!
Stat of the Week #8:
The Ravens scored 47 points, yet their leading rusher had 44 yards, and leading receiver had 49 yards.
Stat of the Week #9:
Adrian Peterson passed Jim Brown to become 10th on the all time rushing list. He could get up to 8th if he has a good season. Frank Gore, the ageless one, should get to #4 this week. These are the only 2 active rushers in the top 25, proof the position is dying.
Stat of the Week #10:
Tyreek Hill touched the ball twice in the 1st quarter. The first was a 91 yard punt return, and the second a 58 yard receiving TD
Stat of the Week #11:
The Dolphins Titans game was 7 hours and 8 minutes long due to two lighting delays. The old record? 5 hours and 16 minutes
Stat of the Week:
From out of nowhere, Ryan Fitzpatrick had 417 yds and 4 TD’s
Takeaways from Opening Night:
- The Falcons have struggled in the red zone for literally years. It’s ugly head reared up again last year in the playoffs with 4 shots at the endzone. Can’t believe they lost the game the exact same way
- Although it was a slight variation, the fact they ran the Philly Special again (and the Falcons fell for it) was hilarious!
- Nick Foles just somehow wins, no matter how bad his performance
- The football Gods were just taunting us Thursday night. We waited 7 months, and had to wait an extra hour for a weather delay!
For the Record:
- Jimmy Garrapolo is no longer undefeated
- Only 1 possession in the 1st half of the Bucs Saints game did not result in a score.
- DeShone Kizer somehow looked worse than Brent Hundley.
- I don’t think anybody can think Khalil Mack is overpaid after watching his performance on Sunday night; same goes for Aaron Rodgers
- Looked like the Adrian Peterson of old. He even got the workload of carries with 26 while Chris Thompson only had 5. Ended with 96 yards and a TD.
- Still not convinced, but I may have been wrong about Patrick Mahomes
- Case Keenum picked up right where he left off
- New head coaches were 0-7 in their debuts
- Ties are still a terrible way to end an NFL game
The Browns didn’t Lose!!!
Technically, TECHNICALLY, the Browns ended a 17 game losing streak and a 13 game opening day losing streak on Sunday. Such a weird OT period! There were 5 possessions in the last 1:47! Pittsburgh with the chance at a FG but missed, Browns Punt, Pittsburgh Fumbles in their territory giving the Browns a shot, but their FG is blocked! I will reiterate that the 10 minute overtimes were terrible and will lead to more ties, but I’ve griped about that in the past. Until they switch to college football rules, you’re going to continue to see these as more common.
Quote of the Week:
“You Vike That?!?!” Kirk Cousins
Games of the Week:
Vikings at Packers: Will likely have playoff consequences and it’s only Week 2!
Chiefs at Steelers
Patriots at Jaguars: Rematch of the AFC Championship
Fantasy Football Woes:
Despite the meme, I do want to gripe for a second. The only league I paid to be in this year didn’t give me a notification when the draft started, so I had my first Autodraft in years. Thanks ESPN, they went WR, WR, WR, RB, TE (who is now out for the season), QB who was out Week 1. Garbage.
Meme of the Week:
Meme of the Week #2: