FMQB: 3rd in Completion %, 1st in Mustaches
This WAY too early list, I want to point out a couple teams that have been surprising:
- The Chargers, who challenged the Chiefs for the AFC West last year, may have a rough year ahead of them. They barely beat the Colts and a backup QB, and they just lost to the Lions.
- Dare I say the Colts could be competitive this year under Jacoby Brissett?
- The 49ers are 2-0, 3rd in the league in points, including outscoring the Chiefs and Rams, and both were road wins
- The Bills are 2-0 but have beaten 2 terrible teams, don’t get too excited yet
- The Buccaneers are technically in 1st place in their division, the Bears in last
- The Ravens have scored the most points in the league, the Packers have given up the 2nd fewest points on defense
Game of the Week:
I have to say, I was deeply disappointed with my geographical restrictions this week. Fox hyped up it’s “Game of the Week” with the Saints vs. Rams. It was a rematch of the NFC Championship, which almost should be a must-see game nationwide. Instead, I got stuck with Broncos vs. Bears, yuck! And for the first 55 minutes, it was yuck; a non-exciting low scoring game. But watching the final sequence has it down to game of the year nominee! We’ll start at the 2:25 mark. Broncos are down 13-6 and have 43 yards to go until pay-dirt. They convert a 4th and 10. Drive further into the red zone and convert a second 4th down conversion to set up 1st down from the 7 yard line and 31 seconds. Plenty of time! Next play the Broncos score to pull up down by one. They decide to go for 2, but get a delay of game. They kick an extra point, and MISS it! Bears win! But hold on, they were offsides. The Broncos then line up for go for two, and succeed!!! Broncos are going to win!
But hold on, the Bears have 31 seconds left. A short play and a very questionable roughing the passer puts them at their own 45. After 3 straight incompletions, the bears actually go for it on 4th down, on their own 45. Trubisky held the ball FOREVER but finally zipped it for a 25 yard game. But the Bears kicking is terrible, they’re about to lose anyw…holy cow, 53 yard field goal for the win!
Stat of the Week #1:
The Giants are 0-2 for the 6th time in the last 7 seasons
Stat of the Week #2:
Dolphins have been outscored 102-10 in the first 2 games
Stat of the Week #3:
The Redskins are 10th in the league in scoring, but are 0-2. The Packers are 26th but are 2-0.
Stat of the Week #4:
Cam Newton has yet to throw a TD pass this season and has -2 rushing yards…
Stat of the Week #5:
Dak Prescott is completing 82.3% of his passes this season!
Stat of the Week #6:
The Patriots have given up 3 points on defense, and have scored the 2nd most points in the league with 76
Stat of the Week #7:
Way too early stat: Dalvin Cook is on pace for 2112 rushing yards this season
Stat of the Week #8:
Julio Jones has already matched is TD output for all of 2017. He had a 343 day TD drought from 2017-2018. Ironically he now has the longest TD streak of any WR with 6 games.
Stat of the Week #9:
Guess what QB is 3rd in Completion percentage, 7th in QB Rating, and 1st in mustaches? That’s right, Gardner Minshew!
For the Record:
- The Packers have sealed 2 straight wins with interceptions in the endzone
- Why would the Steelers trade a 1st round pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick AFTER knowing Ben Roethlisberger was out for the season? There’s a chance Miami picks 1st and 2nd next year.
- Steelers are now the No-B’s
- Wow, Eli Manning’s season didn’t last long. 2 weeks, then benched for the rookie!
- The Vikings drafted then released K Dan Carlson last year. Since being picked up by the Raiders, he has made 17 straight field goals
- It’s Week 2 and we already have 5 QB’s hurt for extended time (Brees, Roethlisberger, Darnold, Foles, possibly Cam), 2 benched for backups (Giants, Dolphins), and 1 surprise retirement (Luck/Colts). Literally a quarter of the league’s QB’s will not be starting Week 3 that we anticipated would start by the end of the 3rd preseason week.
- I’ve never seen a game with the amount of injuries the Eagles had with nearly the entire WR corps going down and Wentz hurting his ribs.
Adventures in Officiating:
What seems to be a yearly occurrence, especially around Week 2 (remember Clay Matthews last year) is the terrible officiating that seems to haunt the NFL. We once again saw several terrible calls that not even review could overturn. This can’t keep costing teams games!
- Roughing the passer on the Broncos on the Bears final drive. They literally hit Trubisky when he still had the ball, and it was a normal tackle, and they got a 15 yd penalty
- The Jets roughing the passer on Monday night was also ridiculous, and he even got fined $21K a day later
- Even as a Rams fan, the Goff fumble turned incomplete pass was a bad call.
- The Viking offensive pass interference was a terrible call that took a TD off the board. There have been other PI’s overturned, I’m telling you this is STILL going to be a disaster
- On TNF, there were 15 flags in 1st half last night
My God, with the news coming out you’d think this guy was running for president and the election is a week away!!! SINCE last week’s article, we’ve had 4 more off field issues happen surrounding Antonio Brown. It’s about time for this guy to go away. We had another sexual assault claim (moreso an exposure issue) and that person isn’t even asking for money. We had a 3rd assault claim. We had a doctor post a video of him doing a body fat test and AB farting as he was kneeling next to him and giggling like a little girl (ok this one is kind of funny). Then we had the 4th issue where he was sending threatening texts to a person, and actually reached out to the NFL to get him to stop (once again isn’t looking for money).
Quote of the Week
“Stay off Tom” Ref to Dolphins player after a sack which was a legal hit
Quote of the Week #2:
“My bad Doc” Antonio Brown, after farting near the doctor
Season Project: 2PT Tracker:
The extended extra point is starting to show some dividends regarding making that play “exciting” again. 2 teams have now gone for 2 late in the 4th quarter instead of kicking to tie the game. I plan on tracking a plus/minus on those teams and seeing by the end of the year if it makes a difference on teams making or missing the playoffs. I can’t count the Broncos in this one, because despite successfully getting the 2, they lost on the final crazy drive. So that leaves us at:
Memes of the Week: